Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A long way to go

Image: Pixomar / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
After a plodding run last night I now know for sure that I have an up hill struggle to go to get ready for the Cardiff Half Marathon this autumn. Just over 5 miles at ten and a half minutes/mile were very very hard. I wasn't helped by an actual summers day with relatively high humidity, and perhaps the beginnings of a cold (the jury is out on that at the moment!). My legs felt like jelly, my lungs like they'd never been used, and my body felt extremely heavy.

I found the first three quarters of the run especially mentally extremely tough, at one point I almost convinced myself to give up and walk home via a shortcut. Happily I stuck with it and by the last mile my body felt like it was remembering what it should be doing. I haven't run 'properly' for around two months I suppose - so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. The half marathon  seems a long way off now, let alone a long way round. Best foot forward, a training plan, and a long way to go...

No comments: