Over the weekend the crew travelled to the City of Oxford regatta on the Thames. For me it was a lesson in what not to do... in summary...
1) Don't neglect basis fitness work - can offer excuses but that a bit rubbish.
2) Be organised - I was off beam all weekend and it showed on the water - inconsistency breeds inconsistency may be.
3) Alcohol and day two of a two day regatta don't mix - I was not drunk on the middle night but it still took the edge off - we raced the eventual winners, thus we could have been the eventual winners if sharper perhaps.
4) Don't listen to or get involved in crew gossip / slagging fests - they inspire negative thinking.
5) We camped next to a scout hut so should have been reminded about this one - be prepared - my mental preparation was non-existent.
Some lessons you learn the hard way I guess :o(